Tuesday, September 6, 2011

// pee-pee amuse-bouche //

chicken broth, lemon jello, apple juice, lemon ice



I'm baaaaack! After a short absence from here, I'd like to explain why it's been so long since I've posted. I mean I sort of have a doctor's note, really. To make a long story short, I had my appendix out when I was two years old and the scar tissue from that comes back around to cause trouble every now and then. This is basically what happened to me: http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/tc/bowel-obstruction-topic-overview. It's a type of bowel obstruction and I've had it 2-3x before - all times, severely painful! They put me on an IV and pumped morphine and Dilaudid (5x stronger than morphine - heard they use it on cancer patients) and I wasn't allowed to eat/drink anything for 3 days. They also put an NG tube down my nose/throat into my belly to suck out excess stuff like bile to relieve pressure on my tummy. THAT was probably the worst because it was in me for 1.5 days and I couldn't talk or swallow. The picture above was my 1st meal in the hospital. I remember them waking me up around 6:30am and I was really excited because I was finally going to get some food! Low and behold, it was chicken broth, apple juice, lemon jello and lemon ice. I think I just looked at it, rolled my eyes and went back to sleep for another 30 minutes before I poked and prodded my "food". The chicken broth and juice went down fine, but the other stuff...yuck. I remember I made my boyfriend try the lemon ice before I did and he faked an "mmmmmm" before the spoon even hit his mouth. Hahahha. Nice try! Anyway, I was in there last Sun.-Wed. and I'm grateful for my friends and family who came to visit and keep me company. Especially to my poor boyfriend, Luke, who had to endure sleeping in the chair-bed the whole time and was my personal secretary (taking my phone calls and talking for me) during my NG tube days. I'm feeling about 90% back to normal and am looking forward to eating my fave foods soon!

2 comments: