Wednesday, July 25, 2012

// cold noodles + pork //


chopped ginger + garlic

mint + cilantro (Viet staples)

pho noodles (any wide rice noodle will do - "that's what she said!")

cook in boiling water for about 4-6 minutes

ground peanuts

sliced cucumbers, peanuts, mint + cilantro

mix everything w/the sauce + the cooked ground pork

Being the typical Asian - even in the hot summer days, I still crave noodles. This cold noodle recipe happened to show up in my inbox from the lovely Tasting Table site.  They tend to have really enticing (and easy) recipes shared by chefs and sous chefs coming from all different types of restaurants/regions. I practically made this the same week that I saw it since the ingredients were so simple and cheap...AND it's been uncomfortably hot out.  I'll definitely keep this on my regular rotation for summer dishes. It's very easy to assemble and the only thing I substituted was mushroom soy sauce for the dark soy sauce. I also didn't have any star anise or Chinese five spice powder, so I omitted that. Still came out really good.

1 comment:

  1. I tried this today and it was very easy and delicious! It's not as bloating as an Italian pasta dish either :)
    I also used what I Had in my kitch, as well as some minor subs:
    - sub ground pork with ground turkey (what i had)
    - no chinese 5spice or star anise, but i looked up the 5spice ingreds and had 3 out of the 5 spices so added a dash :)
    - i tend not to cook with sugar so i ommitted that
    - sub schihuan peppercorn with regular (didn't have white)
    - i don't know what's the diff btw light or dark soy sauce, i only know one kind and finished off my bottle!
    - lastly, i don't know why but i felt like adding a splash of lime juice. it tasted good to me...

    I think my version in hindsight might be slightly bland to others, but to me it was great! I'm keeping half in the fridge for chillin and near future meal - I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete